Good morning Nigeria, welcome to the Publisher roundup of top newspaper headlines in Nigeria for today, Monday, 2nd October 2023.
1. Chicago State University is expected to release President Bola Tinubu’s academic record to the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar by Monday (today). This followed an order given by the United States District Court in Northern District of Illinois mandating the University to grant Atiku’s appeal.
2. The Federal Government on Sunday said the provisional wage increase announced by President Bola Tinubu for all low-income workers for six months would cut across all treasury-paid workers. The Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, revealed this to State House correspondents at the end of a four-hour marathon emergency meeting with the leaders of Organised Labour.
3. The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), has refuted reports that he signed a non-prosecution plea bargain with former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele. There were speculations that Emefiele may have opted for a plea bargain with the Federal Government in the case of N6.9bn procurement fraud.
4. Former Minister of Aviation, Chief Osita Chidoka, has said the United States Court order directing Chicago State University to release the academic records of President Bola Tinubu to the Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the 2023 presidential elections, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, is a national disgrace. He said this in a statement, on Sunday.
5. The leadership of the organised labour will meet with its organs today to discuss the N35,000 provisional wage award which the federal government approved yesterday for all treasury-paid federal workers for six months. The president of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Joe Ajaero, stated this to state house reporters after a four-hour meeting with the government delegation led by the Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila.
6. The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has warned that it will not take it lightly with anyone found tampering with any of the revoked land as approved by the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike. The warning came when officials of the Development Control Department, led by its Director, Muktar Galadima, busted an attempt by some owners of revoked lands in Maitama District to continue development.
7. BUA Group has announced a reduction of ex-factory cement price to N3,500 per bag. In a statement on Sunday, the company announced that the new price will take effect from Monday, October 2, 2023.
8. Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Barr Nyesom Wike, has said neither sentiment nor emotion will stand in his way of doing the right thing. Wike stated this in Abuja while reacting to a trending video of Abuja Urban Mass Transport Company (AUMTCO) staff lamenting the sack of the company’s Managing Director.
9. Ilebaye Precious Odiniya, simply called Ilebaye, has won the Big Brother Naija All Stars edition. She polled the highest number of votes in the grand finale of the reality TV show. Ilebaye was announced last night during the grand finale of the TV show which was held in Lagos.
10. Delta State Police Command has confirmed that five persons died in a fuel tanker explosion that occurred on the Sapele-Benin Road on Sunday. The police also confirmed that eight buses, two tankers, five trailers, two cars and one motorcycle were razed. The command’s spokesperson, DSP Bright Edafe disclosed this in a press statement made available to journalists in Warri on Sunday.