Buhari has appointed a new chief of army staff for Nigeria.
The Publisher Nigeria reports that President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed Major General Farouk Yahaya as the new Chief of Army Staff.
Major General Yahaya replaces Lt Gen Ibrahim Attahiru who died in a plane crash on May 21, 2021.
A statement by Acting Director Defence Information Brig-Gen Onyema Nwachukwu said Major General Yahaya, before his appointment, was the General Officer Commanding 1 Division of the Nigerian Army and incumbent Theatre Commander of the Counter-Terrorism Counter Insurgency military outfit in the North East, code-named Operation HADIN KAI.
Here are few things to know about Major General Farouk Yahaya
- Major General Farouk Yahaya is of Regular Course 37 of the Nigerian Defence Academy
- He hails from Zamfara State.
- Until his appointment, he was the Theatre Commander Operation Hadin Kai, formerly known as Operation Lafiya Dole in the Northeast.
- Yahaya took over from Maj.-Gen. Olusegun Adeniyi, who was redeployed to the Nigerian Army Resource Centre as Senior Research Fellow.
- He was also formerly General Officer Commanding Officer of the 1 Division of the Nigerian Army.
- Yahaya was also the Commander of 4 Brigade Headquarters of the Nigerian Army.