Newsonline has compiled top Naija news headlines from Nigerian newspapers today, this means the latest Naija news, top Nigerian newspaper headlines and happenings in Nigeria can be accessed on this page.
Below are the Nigerian Newspaper headlines & Naija news today from Nigerian newspapers.
Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. A former Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Chief Olabode George has insisted that a southern candidate must replace Iyorchia Ayu as the national chairman of the party before the beginning of the 2023 election campaigns scheduled for September 28, 2022. He said Ayu, who is from the northern part of the country, could not continue to hold the position since the presidential candidate of the party is from the North.
2. The Independent Corrupt Practices Commission and other related offences on Thursday revealed that the N13.59trillion 2021 budget was padded by the various Ministries, Departments and Agencies, with duplicated projects worth N300b. The ICPC Chairman, Prof. Bolaji Owasanoye, during an interface with the Senate Committee on Finance, also disclosed that projects’ duplication worth N100billion were also inserted into the N17.12 trillion 2022 budget by some MDAs.
3. The All Progressives Congress in Rivers State has condemned what it termed artificial scarcity of petroleum products in Port Harcourt and other parts of the State. The party said the situation, which was caused by a leadership squabble in the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria, was unfortunate.
4. Despite the accusations that the North has taken charge of the juicy positions in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the party has officially appointed the Sokoto State Governor, Aminu Tambuwal, as Director-General of the Presidential Campaign Organisation (PCO) for the 2023 elections.
5. President Muhammadu Buhari has conferred Nigerian citizenship on 286 foreign nationals. The conferment of citizenship on beneficiaries from the United States, Europe, the Americas, Asia, Middle East, Oceania and Africa was done Thursday at a ceremony held at the Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
6. The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has given an insight into the suspension of Azman Air’s operations. Director-General of NCAA, Capt. Musa Nuhu, confirmed that it was withholding the Air Transport License (ATL) of the airline until it provides the required documentation for the renewal of its operational licenses and put forward a payment plan on its N1.2bn debt.
7. The federal government, yesterday, said the arrest of the publisher Desert Herald, Tukur Mamu, will not hinder efforts to release the victims of the Kaduna train attack. The Minister of Police Affairs, Mohammed Maigari Dingiyadi, said this after the National Security Council, NSC, meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari.
8. A Federal High Court, Abuja, has ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to accept and publish Godswill Akpabio’s name as the candidate of the All Progressive Congress (APC) for the 2023 Akwa Ibom North/West Senatorial District election. Justice Emeka Nwite gave the order yesterday.
9. Nigerians are gasping for breath as the inflation rate rose by 0.92 basis points to 20.52 percent in August from 19.6 percent in July, the highest since October 2005. This represents the seventh consecutive monthly rise in headline inflation since February.
10. Presidential candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu described himself as the hope that Nigeria will get better. Tinubu made this assertion on Thursday when he met with the Nollywood and kannywood entertainers at the APC Presidential Campaign Council secretariat in Abuja.