Nigerian newspaper headlines and Naija news today, 5th May 2022, can be accessed below.
Newsonline has compiled top Naija news headlines from Nigerian newspapers today, this means the latest Naija news, top newspaper headlines and happenings in Nigeria can be accessed on this page.
Below are the Newspaper headlines & Naija news today from Nigerian newspapers.
Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The All Progressives Congress (APC) has extended its sale of expression of interest and nomination forms by 4 days. The initial deadline was Friday, but in a statement on Wednesday, the APC National Publicity Secretary, Barrister Felix Morka, said the exercise had been extended to Tuesday.
2. Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State says the situation of Nigeria is so bad that the country needs a mad man to turn things around for the better. The presidential aspirant of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) said this while addressing delegates of the party in Kogi State on Wednesday.
3. President Muhammadu Buhari and the Secretary General of the United Nations (UN), Antonio Guterres, Wednesday, met at the State House, Abuja. The President received the UN scribe and his delegation at the forecourt of his office at around 3:03pm.
4. Governor of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi, on Wednesday, formally declared his presidential ambition on the platform of the All Progressives Congress. While declaring his ambition in Abuja, the Chairman of the Nigeria Governors Forum listed some challenges he intends to fix if he becomes the President of the country in 2023.
5. The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, has written to the University of Jos, demanding a probe and the recall of the doctorate degree of the Minister of State for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba. Nwajiuba confirmed to reporters yesterday that the union had written to UNIJOS asking for the recall of his certificate.
6. An explosion at an oil firm in Imo State, on Wednesday morning, left two persons dead. The incident, which occurred at Addax Oil Company at Izombe, Oguta Local Government Area of the State, caused panic in the area.
7. The National Working Committee (NWC) of the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has rescheduled its primary elections. A statement by Hon. Debo Ologunagba, National Publicity Secretary of the party, said the Governorship Primaries is now slated for Monday, May 23, 2022, while the Senatorial District Primaries comes up on Saturday, May 21, 2022.
8. The Naira on Wednesday appreciated at the Investors and Exporters window exchanging at N418 to the dollar, a -0.24 percent appreciation, stronger than N419.00 it traded on April 29. The open indicative rate closed at N417.00 to the dollar on Wednesday.
9. Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State has threatened to sack any of his appointees found to be engaged in untoward activities during the upcoming Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, congress. The Governor, who promised to be fully involved in the conduct of the primaries, promised to monitor the process to ensure that no one was shortchanged during the exercise.
10. An Assistant Superintendent of Police, identified as Ukam Efut, was on Tuesday evening shot dead at a security checkpoint at Agwa, in Oguta Local Government Area of Imo State by fleeing gunmen. After shooting the officer dead, his killers chopped off his manhood and fled with it.